Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My First Prayer Shawl


I mentioned last week that I had joined a Prayer Shawl Ministry Group at my Church. When I got home from the first meeting, I dug out some leaflets I had, downloaded some free patterns from the Internet, and even went online to reserve some books to preview from the library. I like variety.

As I started working on this project, I realized how nice it is to have a project that I can work on and just relax as I am doing it. This particular project works in threes so when you get to the end of the row, if you have done the row correctly, you have an even outcome. If you made a mistake, it is very clear. It makes it the perfect project to work on when you might be distracted.

This shawl is called Comfort and it comes from Prayer Shawls II (Annie's Attic: Crochet) a leaflet I picked up when it was on clearance at Annie's Attic. I love the texture it created as I was working with the yarn. I used a One Pounder of Caron I picked up while I was at the meeting. While the pattern didn't finish off the ends, I didn't like the leaving the ends unfinished so I chose to finish it off with a shell. The One Pounder didn't leave me with enough to finish off the shawl so, I chose grey because I thought it looked good against the blue.


I am used to taking pics of dolls and toys. I need to find a better method to show off the shawls.

I started the Double Hug Shawl from Crocheted Prayer Shawl Companion, The: 37 Patterns to Embrace, Inspire, and Celebrate Life that I borrowed from the library. After previewing it, this is on my buy list. I have a wedding to attend in July and I am thinking a Double Hug one in black might be a nice addition to my wardrobe. There are several other patterns I can see making to donate.

This is also helping my stash busting goals. I had bought some I Love This Yarn for a project and never got to it. Now it’s going to a good cause.

2 comments:

Natalie Patalie said...

Pretty! My mom is always working on new prayer shawls for our church :)

Sheltie Times said...

Thanks. My normal projects are dolls or toys. However, I always need something as a break. This is a new interest and I like that I can find patterns that are relaxing to work on and still make a nice gift when finished.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers