Friday, February 11, 2011

Knit Picks Fingering Yarn


Just a quick note of business, I have not received compensation for this review. I am just thrilled to have found a source of fingering yarn that is not in baby colors. At first, I was even excited to find the baby fingering yarn. If you have followed this blog, you know my journey to find the lightweight yarn for my doll clothes. I have not been able to find a regular local source for fingering yarn. Posts to various sites had not proved helpful. I guess most people use thread or sport weight for their projects or they are just holding out on their sources for fingering yarn. I can occasionally find Paton's and Bernat Baby Fingering yarn at local JoAnn's and AC Moore's but neither carries the products with any predictability. I had taken to ordering my baby fingering yarn online when JoAnn's had it on sale. I was disappointed to find Knitting Warehouse had little to offer in price difference or selection. When I find something I have spent time looking for, I share it with others who might also not know where to look.

Mom came through when she referred me to Knit Picks. She has been knitting the small outfits and was ahead of me in locating a source. I was a bit intimidated with the yarn selection process. I am a simple yarn buyer. I just want basic simple yarn that will make doll clothes and toys. While I understand the benefits of more expensive yarns for other projects, there is little value added in buying the more expensive yarns for my projects. It means I can make fewer projects.

I can now move beyond pastel colors. I found some beautiful primary colors and blends that I cannot wait to try. Barbie and Barbie's dressers will also be pleased to move beyond the basic pinks, blues, yellows, and pale purples of baby yarn as well.

What was most pleasing was the cost. I found Palette Yarn 50g balls are priced from $1.99-$2.19 a skein. The baby skeins are no larger and that is less than I pay for them on sale. They are also acrylic, not wool. Knit Picks also offers free shipping if you order more than $50. Not surprising I had no trouble meeting that requirement. Stay tuned, I will be discussing my experience with this yarn soon and hopefully have some projects to show.

Barbie and American Girl Doll Free Patterns are listed on my blog at these locations:

Barbie Crochet and Sewing Page

Barbie Knitting Page

Ken Page

Kelly/Skipper Page

American Girl Doll Crochet and Sewing

American Girl Doll Knitting

Additional Doll Patterns also Available on the Holiday Blogs:

Valentines

Easter

Graduation

Patriotic

Halloween Page

Thanksgiving

Christmas


Pictures may not be used without written permission

2 comments:

Angie - The Work at Home Wife said...

That is beautiful! And thanks for your comment today. I haven't participated in Yahoo Groups for years. Since I had a home party biz. That may be something I should look back into!

American Girl Doll Clothes said...

It's looking great! Now a days it is available in internet. Thanks for sharing this unique information....

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers