Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crochet Coal Car Train



When I saw June 2010 Crochet World this was the train car I most wanted to make. I loved the way they created the coal on the top of the train car and was excited to try the pattern. I substituted stuffing for the foam blocks the pattern wanted cut. I would not want to imagine the joys involved with cutting foam to fit the coal pattern. While the crochet does create a pattern for the coal "bump," stuffing is critical to getting a coal pile on top of the coal car. The foam might have been an advantage if one had the patience to cut it correctly to fit the form.

The color on this car is fairly close to the pattern. I used Red Heart and other scrap yarn for making the train cars. It was all yarn I had on hand. I believe the pattern calls for Vanna's yarn. I did not notice a significant difference in changing yarn varieties. I suspect the Vanna's yarn would be softer, however, because I was not using foam, that could actually have made the situation worse, not better.

If you arrived here seeking free train patterns check out the Free Toy Patterns

See the Other Train Pictures:

Engine

Box Car

Caboose

Crochet Train Set

Pictures may not be used without written permission.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Followers